REMAPPING INFORMATION AND CONSIDERATIONS
- We advise against booking your vehicle in for any of our services immediately before a trip or holiday where you plan to use your vehicle. In the rare event of unexpected complications, you may not be able to drive your car away on the completion date provided.
- In many cases we can read and write to an ECU through an ODB (On-Board Diagnostic) port. This process usually takes approximately an hour and a half to two hours. However, if there is a problem with the port and the ECU has to be removed and the work performed on the bench, the process will take longer and cost more due to the increased labour time involved. If this situation occurs A J Autos will contact you to discuss the situation before proceeding. Please note that some vehicles cannot be mapped via an ODB Port at all.
- We try our best to deliver our services within the estimated time frame. However, every vehicle has a different history and sometimes unanticipated challenges arise. In these cases, the work may take longer than first thought. Please consider this when making your booking and any other arrangements regarding transport and the use of your vehicle. A J Autos can supply a courtesy car if needed (Subject to availability) at the cost to the customer of £10 a day.
- The maps used by A J Autos come from Avon Tuning and we are an Avon Tuning Authorized Agent. The maps have been thoroughly tested and produce the range of power or economy gains quoted. However, please be aware that these may not be fully achieved if:
- There is an existing mechanical issue with the vehicle
- The vehicle’s performance outputs before the map are below the manufacturer (or stock) standard.
- You have not used a good quality fuel in your vehicle.
Please talk to A J Autos if you have any questions
- Please remember that it is very important that your vehicle is mechanically sound and in a good working condition before remapping it. Once a new map is put on your vehicle you are likely to be asking more of your vehicle when driving it. Any existing mechanical issues may be exacerbated. A J Autos is not responsible for fixing existing or underlying mechanical issues. You will also be charged for any additional services you request from us.
- It is important that you tell us about the following before we start work, and preferably before confirming your booking:
- Any existing mechanical faults
- Any existing ECU faults
- If you have an after-market vehicle alarm fitted (can interfere with the ECU)
- If you have an add-on tuning box fitted
- If your vehicle has any modifications
- If your vehicle has previously been remapped or tuned elsewhere.
- Please be aware of our full Terms and Conditions relating to these points.
- We advise against sourcing your own parts independently for any modifications you may be requesting, for example as part of a Stage 2 remap. This is because problems can arise if customers accidentally source incorrect or poor quality parts. However, if you choose to use your own parts then please be aware of our terms and conditions.
- If you find a suspected fault following the completion of work by A J Autos, please tell us as soon as possible and within a week of collecting your vehicle. Do not let a third party work on or interfere with the ECU or the vehicle itself before coming back to us. If you or a third party has interfered with the ECU / vehicle then further damage may have been caused, which could result in more serious issues. A J Autos will no longer be responsible for resolving a suspected fault in such a situation.
- Unfortunately we do not currently have a waiting area at A J Autos and insist that all customers leave the premises while any work is being carried out on their vehicle. A J Autos will call you when your vehicle is ready for collection. Please take this into account when booking your car in.
Remapping Terms and Conditions
Below are the Remapping Terms and Conditions of A J Autos. These are intended to form a binding contract between us and you, our customer, as governed by the law of England and Wales. In proceeding with your remap you acknowledge and accept the following points within these Terms and Conditions.
Payment for all services will be agreed up front between A J Autos and the customer. A digital quote will be issued via email or text message before any work commences. All customers must send a digital acceptance of this quote before the vehicle is booked in for mapping. Once confirmed there will be no negotiation on price. If the customer expresses any concerns about pricing after confirmation, all work on their vehicle will cease and any map already installed will be removed and the vehicle returned back to stock. Full payment must be received from the customer following completion of the work and on (or before) collection of the vehicle.
Before work commences and ideally before a booking is made all customers must disclose the following information about their vehicle.
- Any previous ECU alterations from another company including but not limited to remapping, alterations, removal and replacement.
- Any known mechanical issues and any repairs or modifications completed to the vehicle.
- Any tuning box that is fitted to the vehicle.
- Any after-market alarm fitted to the vehicle.
PLEASE NOTE: A J Autos reserves the right to refuse to continue further work if any of the information in the above statements is found not to have been disclosed. In such cases the customer will be charged for any work already completed. A J Autos will also not be liable for any mechanical issues with a vehicle or ECU where this information has not been supplied in advance. Any applicable warranties will also be invalidated.
The customer will also be responsible for arranging and meeting the cost of vehicle recovery (If needed) where any information about the after-market alarms / fittings, add-on tuning boxes, existing mechanical or ECU faults, modifications, or previous tuning by third parties has not been disclosed to A J Autos before work commences.
Following the initial provision of services, A J Autos may undertake further work at the request of the customer if faults are suspected or discovered. (No work will commence until digital agreement of work and additional costs is confirmed by the customer) Work to investigate, identify, or resolve suspected or actual vehicle faults will be chargeable at the standard rate, unless the issues concerned are directly caused by work previously completed by A J Autos. The vehicle must be mechanically sound and in good working condition before remapping it. Any mechanical (or other) issues may be exacerbated. A J Autos is not responsible for any existing or underlying faults with a vehicle; therefore, additional work to assist the customer will be chargeable.
Additional information on particular items is highlighted below. Please consider this before booking your car in for remapping.
TURBO – A turbo can fail even on brand new vehicles running standard manufacture tuned engines. They should last anything from 10,000miles to 150,000miles but there is no indication of longevity, due to the high output they operate at. A simple small weakness can cause failure. When we do performance tuning such as remapping we utilize a boost increase which is within the specifications of the turbo, this does however have the potential to highlight any weakness and can, although vary rare, cause the turbo to fail. This is extremely infrequent, however A J Autos can not be held liable in this instance and any turbo faults which occur after mapping are the issue of the customer.
CLUTCH – The life of a clutch can vary dramatically depending on the predominant use, for instance a vehicle used mainly in town will wear the thrust bearing and pressure plate much quicker than a vehicle used predominantly on a motorway. The clutch will undergo additional stress when modified and as such it is not uncommon for it to highlight any weakness in the clutch operation. Again A J Autos can not be held liable for this failure and any clutch faults which occur after mapping are the issue of the customer.
A J Autos will be very happy to help rectify any faults to the vehicle after mapping at the standard rate cost to the customer.
Refunds will not be issued for remaps or other tuning work where vehicle performance or running capability is compromised by existing or underlying mechanical or ECU faults, or the presence of after-market alarms / other after-market fittings.
Refunds will not be issued for remaps or other tuning work where a vehicle has not achieved the performance improvement outcomes quoted because their cars performance outputs before mapping were below the manufacturer (or stock) standard.
Refunds will not be issued for remaps or other tuning work where a vehicle has not achieved the performance improvement quoted due to existing or underlying mechanical or ECU faults.
After remapping a vehicle it is important to use good quality fuels. Refunds will not be issued for remaps or other tuning work where a vehicle has not achieved the performance improvement outcomes quoted because of the use of poorer quality fuels. A J Autos reserves the right to take a sample from the fuel tank of a customers vehicle in the process of investigating any suspected performance issues reported by the customer.
An estimate of how long the work requested will take can be provided when booking any A J Autos services. However there may be occasions where more time is needed to compete the work fully and to A J Autos high standards. A J Autos will keep the customer informed of any significant delays.
In the rare event of unanticipated complications, customers may not be able to drive their car away on the completion day provided. Refunds will not be given on this basis. Complications are usually a result of a faulty ECU or existing mechanical problems with the vehicle.
In the event that a customer chooses to drive away or otherwise remove their vehicle from the A J Autos workshop before the work is complete, A J Autos will not be liable for any resulting issues with the ECU, the vehicle itself or any individual components. Any applicable warranties will also be invalidated.
A J Autos will cover the cost of repairing (or if necessary replacing) an ECU in the rare event that an ECU is damaged as a result of work undertaken by A J Autos. Payment for the original work requested and completed will still be due from the customer at the agreed price.
Should you the customer discover a suspected fault with the work completed by A J Autos, you should contact us at your earliest convenience and within one week of vehicle collection. A J Autos will discuss the issue with the customer and arrange an appointment to investigate the fault if necessary.
PLEASE NOTE: A J Autos is not responsible for correcting suspected faults where the customer or a third party has worked on the vehicle or the vehicle’s ECU since collecting the vehicle from the A J Autos workshop. Any applicable warranties will also be invalidated.
Software faults and issues with the map / directly caused by the map are very rare. When these faults do occur and are genuinely caused by the remap, a customer will notice immediately when driving the vehicle. In these cases, the customer should contact A J Autos and return to the A J Autos workshop within fourteen days of the date of the remap or service was completed. Refunds will not be issued after fourteen days of the original remap or service.
Quotes provided may be based on the ability to read and write to an ECU through an ODB (On-Board Diagnostic) port. Reading and writing through the port may not be possible if there is an unanticipated problem with the port itself. In these cases, the ECU will have to be removed from the vehicle and the work performed on a bench. This will incur an increased cost and take longer to complete. A J Autos will inform the customer of the situation and the revised price before going ahead with any further work. Digital confirmation from the customer must be given before further work continues.
Some vehicles have security bolts on the ECU casing / housing. The heads of such bolts will be cut to enable the removal of an ECU. The original bolts will be replaced once the work has been completed and the cuts to the head of the bolts will remain. This is standard practice for tuning services where an ECU is removed for the completion of the services requested.
Where a customer chooses to use vehicle parts that they have sourced independently for modifications or repairs:
- A J Autos will not be liable for any faults with the parts.
- The customer is responsible for ensuring that the parts and materials supplied for use are good quality and that all necessary components are present.
- The customer will be charged for any additional labour time resulting from the supply of incorrect, ill fitting, poor quality or missing parts.
- The customer will be charged for any additional labour time resulting from the need to return parts to stock following issues with the parts supplied.
- A J Autos may refuse to commence or continue with planned work if the parts supplied are incomplete, missing key components or found to be such poor quality that they do not fit or work correctly. In such cases A J Autos will discuss the options available with the customer. The customer will still be charged for the cost of labour where work has already commenced.
An ECU can be returned to stock following a remap by A J Autos at the request of the customer. There will be a minimum charge of £75 for this service and it will be treated as a normal booking. The full price of the original remap may be charged where there is a significant work involved.
A J Autos is not responsible for re installing a map where a customer’s ECU has been reset by a vehicle dealership or any other third party. The map can be re installed at the request of a customer; however, there will be a minimum charge of £75. The full price of the original remap may be charged where there is a significant work involved.
Persons parking a vehicle in a parking bay outside of the A J Autos workshop do so at their own risk. A J Autos is not liable for any damage, vandalism or theft relating to vehicles parked outside. This also applies to any surrounding roads.
A J Autos takes reasonable steps to ensure that the premises and customer vehicles inside the premises are secure. In the unfortunate event that a vehicle is stolen from the A J Autos premises or damaged in a fire, the customer will be responsible for making a claim through their own vehicle insurance.
Give us a call, or pop in to our garage and have a chat.